Career Exploration is an opportunity
for a student to investigate a specific occupation or career path. This
learning experience requires the
student to conduct independent
research, informational interviews
with professionals in the and job
shadows when appropriate.
- Grade Level: 9,10,11 and 12
- Credit: 1-2 Credits per trimester
- Grading: Pass/Fail using ELO Department competencies
- Off Campus?: Yes, as needed.
- Time of day depends on the
- student’s grade level
- Attendance Taken?: Depends on situation and grade level
- Title in PowerSchool: ELO: Career Exploration
Once you’ve filled out the ELO Request Form and have been approved for a
Career Exploration, you will need to
do the following:
- Meet with the ELO Coordinator to determine what your goals and learning plan will be.
- Fill out the ELO Agreement Form and have it signed by:
- Guidance Counselor
- ELO Coordinator
- Grade Level Administrator may be required.
- Fill out the Off Campus
- Permission Form and have
- it signed by a parent/Guardian.
- If your Career Exploration includes a one time job shadow that impacts
- your other classes, you are
- required to:
For your Career Exploration, you will be required to reflect on your experience. Reflection allows you to control your own learning by discussing what you are experiencing with your ELO Coordinator
and making necessary changes to meet your learning goals.
You will need to review the Reflection Form with your ELO Coordinator.
For more information, go to the REFLECTION page of this website.
During your Career Exploration you will be researching the career field(s) of your choice. Research brings your learning to life and allows you to interact with professions in the community. You can expect to:
- Complete Career and Interest Assessments
- Research career details and pathways online through approved websites
- Conduct informational interviews with professionals
- Possibly job shadow with professionals in the community
- You will need to review the Research Form with your ELO Coordinator.
For more information, see the RESEARCH page of this website.
Career Exploration requires that you develop a tangible product that demonstrates your learning experience.
You will need to meet with your ELO Coordinator to discuss your final product and review the Product Form.
For more information, go to the PRODUCT page of this website.
Throughout your Career Exploration Experience, you will be assessed on the progress you are making on your:
Your final assessment grade is based on the ELO Department Competencies.